Saturday, April 16, 2016

Avoiding the Titanic!

The hardest thing about sitting down and getting that book or article written is motivation. Staring at your coffee as it gets colder and colder, with a minature Titanic playing hide and seek with an imagined iceberg will not get you there. Nor will that old, but extremely reliable friend, procrastination!
So what's my secret? I don't really have one, I just sit down and write, anything, whatever comes to mind and then « little by little, bit by bit » what the heck is that song doing in here? To continue, the flow begins to take hold and the words appear as if by magic! Well, not really, I sometimes have to stop and think about certain words or phrases but if I spend too much time doing this I find that any motivation I had will suddenly decide to go on holiday. But I'm still in front of my computer screen and I haven't given up. Perhaps that should be the most important thing to keep in mind, never giving up. Any kind of artistic creation, is there to be shared with as many people as possible. What you create, nobody else can, so let yourself be inspired by each and everything around you. Go to a bar, watch and listen as customers interact with each other. Try to imagine what they live outside and why they've decided to come and have a drink. Perhaps some of them are celebrating whilst others are there to drown their sorrows in « one more drink before they go to the valley below! » Ok it should be one more cigarette but the beauty of writing anything is that even if you can't change the world, you can change the rest to suit your mood. The allusion to the Titanic earlier on is there to help you understand that unlike the ship you are unsinkable even when life gets you down. Just hang on in there, and get pen to paper.
To help in keeping motivated I found this video which I'm sure the other person will be only too glad to share. Enjoy, and keep on writing.


KAFKA (1991) ADAPTATION (2002) BARTON FINK (1991) THE INVISIBLE WOMAN (2013)
LIMITLESS (2011) STRANGER THAN FICTION (2006) 
STARTING OUT IN THE EVENING (2007) FINDING FORRESTER (2000) SUBMARINE (2010) HEMMINGWAY AND GELHORN (2012) THE GREAT GATSBY (2013) RUBY SPARKS (2012) MIDNIGHT IN PARIS (2011) ANONYMOUS (2011)RAVEN (2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment